For hikers that are looking to get in a beautiful Moab area hike, but still want to be back in town for lunch, the Hidden Valley trailhead, located just outside of town, is the perfect destination.
- 6 miles (typically 3-4 hours)
- Moderate with 840 feet elevation gain
- Trailhead: Hidden Valley trailhead located on Rimrock Road.
This beautiful hike begins on a sandstone plateau and winds its way into Hidden Valley. It also has the added bonus of being one of the most easily accessed trailheads in all of Moab. Though the trail begins with a steep first mile (you’ll gain about 700 of your 840 feet here), the rest of the hike is fairly level, making this a great trail for anyone in reasonable shape. Due to the trails proximity to Moab, expect to see other hikers, mountain bikers, and trail runners on the path.
Find the trailhead off US 191 south of Moab. At Angel Rock road, head west for 2 blocks to Rimrock Road. At the dead end, find the signed trailhead.
- Distance: 6 miles round trip.
- Average Time of Hike: 3 to 4 hours.
- Elevation Gain: 840 feet.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Trail Type: Out and Back
- Trailhead: Hidden Valley Trailhead
Plan & Prepare
This hike is best undertaken from September to May, as summer temperatures often soar to over 100 degrees.