- 100 miles (typically 2-3 day)
- Moderately difficult.
- Trailhead: Access the trailhead from either Mineral Basin Road, or just north of Island in the Sky Visitor Center.
This multi-day backcountry epic is the perfect way to explore all that Canyonlands National Park has to offer. Highlights along the route include Musselman Arch, expansive overlooks of the Colorado River, Washer Woman Arch, Airport Butte, Soda Springs Basin, and views of the Green River.
Depending on where you plan to start your trip, you will access to the road from different points. From Mineral Bottom Road, you’ll head west for 14.5 miles to White Rim Road. If you plan to approach from Island in the Sky Visitor Center, you’ll head north about one mile to Shafter Trail Road. Here you’ll turn right, following the road for about 5.5 miles. You''ll then right to access White Rim Road.
- Distance: Approximately 100 miles.
- Average Time of Drive/Ride: 2-3 days.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Trail Type: Point to Point
- Trailhead: Access from either Mineral Bottom Road or Island in the Sky Visitor Center.
Plan & Prepare
This drive is best completed in 2 – 3 days to allow ample time to explore. Campsites are available; advanced reservations are recommended as this is a popular route.
This drive is best attempted in spring and fall.
4 wheeling is an inherently dangerous activity and shouldn’t be attempted without the appropriate training and equipment. Following a few basic tips can help keep you safe:
- Understand your vehicles 4 wheel drive system and know how to use it.
- Make sure you know your cars dimensions and lowest point of clearance – you don’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
- At all times, make sure you travel with at least one passenger and one other vehicle. Take emergency supplies and extra parts.
- Make sure you know your route. Know where you are and know where you are going. In and around Moab, radio towers can serve as useful landmarks.
Careful preparation for your trip will ensure that if, and when, things do go wrong, you are prepared for the situation.