The route finding is easy and the road surface is buff and wide, except while crossing streams. This mountain biking and 4x4 trail offers some of the most beautiful views of red rock so be sure to bring your camera. At the top, after 26 stream crossings and a continuous moderate climb, you will be rewarded with views overlooking the Fisher Valley Ranch and the La Sal mountain range. Because the road is so well maintained, running into 4WD vehicles, as well as cars and cows is a possibility.
- Distance: 20 miles out and back (or you go as far as you want and turn around)
- Time: Anywhere from 2 to 6 hours
- Difficulty: Technically easy with a few stream crossings, moderate and continuous uphill climb
- Trail Surface: Gravel and dirt road, rocky stream bed crossings
Directions to Trailhead
Drive north on US 191 from downtown Moab until you reach the Colorado River Bridge. Turn right onto UT 128 and drive 20 miles. At the sign that reads "Fisher Valley Ranch" immediately turn right. If you hit the "Fisher Towers Road" you have gone too far. Park on the side of the road and begin your ride up Onion Creek Road. After 10 miles, once the road begins to flatten out, turn around and ride back down.
Maps & Tours
- Pick up a detailed map or guide book at the Moab Information Center on the corner of Main and Center Streets.
- If you are new to mountain biking, or to the area, consider Joining a Guided Bike Tour.