- 53 miles (typically 1-3 days)
- Difficult, up to Class IV Rapids.
- Put-In: Westwater Ranger Station.
Home to several challenging rapids with names such as Wild Horse and Funnel Falls, as well as sheer rock canyons, and abundant wildlife, this trip has something for everyone.
The put in for this trip is the Westwater Ranger Station. From I-70, take exit 227. Turn south at the stop sign and proceed 9 miles to the ranger station.
- Distance: 53 miles
- Average Time of Trip: 1 – 3 days
- Difficulty: Difficult, up to class IV Rapids
- Put In: Westwater Ranger Station
- Take Out: Cisco Landing
Plan & Prepare
- Permits are required for this section of the river. Due to the challenging nature of the rapids, and difficulty securing permits, most will benefit from hiring a professional guide service.
- There are five camp sites available near the Westwater Ranger station. They are free to use. They offer a convenient way to get an early launch.
- River running season in Utah coincides with the hottest part of the year. Remember to pack plenty of water and sunscreen. Additional protection from the sun, including hats and light long sleeve shirts are advised.
- Remember to always wear a life jacket.
- Make sure to arrange a shuttle vehicle in advance. If need be, many local companies will shuttle you back to Moab for a fee.
- There are no toilet facilities located on this section of the river. All solid human waste must be carried out. Commercial porta-potty toilet systems are allowed.
- You will need a permit to run this section of the river. Call (435) 259-4351 for details.