From the parking area, start your climb up the Sovereign Trail toward the first intersection with Salt Wash trail. It is a gradual climb with a few challenging rock step ups. Continue on Sovereign for a handful of ups and downs through rock and dirt washes. You'll see many connector trails for Salt Wash and can bail back to the car at any time for a tricky and fun downhill.
Start heading towards Dalton Wells Road and at the bottom of a descent you'll head up steadily towards and around Cedar Mountain. The trail then climbs steeply to the rim of Cedar Mountain before a technical descent to the Dalton Wells Trailhead. At the trailhead, you can either climb up Cedar Mountain and head back the way you came or follow the dirt road back.
- Distance: 10 miles one-way.
- Average Time: 2-3 hours.
- Elevation Gain: 1295' ascent.
- Difficulty: Intermediate-Expert.
- Trail Type: Point to point (but you can easily ride back along the 4x4 road or make a huge loop with more singletrack).
- Trailhead: From Moab, head north on US 191. You will see the Willow Springs Road on your right, 1.8 miles past the Dead Horse Point junction. On Willow Springs Road, stay left at mile 1.3 and park at mile 2.0.